Are you under the age of 22 and is there someone in your family with a disability or chronic illness?
Do you worry about this person and do a lot for them and your family?
Challenges faced by young carers
- Sometimes caring for a family member or friend can take a lot of time and energy.
- Young Carers often give up a lot to support their family.
- Young Carers have the right:
- To opportunities to talk to someone about their own needs.
- To practical help to assist in the task of caring.
- To information and advice about services.
Young Carers Group
Carers’ Society Otago supports carers under the age of 22 with lots of fun activities.
The Young Carers’ Group holds one meeting per month from 5:30 – 7pm on the 3rd Thursday of every month. Contact us on 03 471 6204 to register and find our more.
These meetings are a chance to have a break, meet other Young Carers, learn, and have fun!
Come, be supported, and learn about:
- Practical skills such as cooking
- Skills like First Aid and volunteering
- What to do when you feel stressed
- Help with homework
- Fun activities like bowling and skating and indoor games
- Outdoor sports
- Learning about other cultures
Please contact us if you would like to join the young carers group.